Perhaps loving something is the only starting place there is for making your life your own.
Did you have one of those plastic viewfinders as a child? My creative process is much like having one of those viewfinders in my head at all times. I click from screen to screen as ideas come into focus. Since I am the one peeking into the viewfinder and can control the next frame, it allows me to focus on one project as long as needed before moving on to the next idea. As a general rule, there are at least 3 paintings on my desk at a time.
My work can be described as whimsically folksy and charming in nature. I love to tell stories about ordinary living through honesty and wit. There is a sweet innocence about my work that reminds people that life is supposed to be this lovely, simple and inviting. Much of my work is reflective of my story, those who share my journey in life, and the things that bring me joy. I have found that by sharing myself through paint I am able to reach many people, bringing joy to their lives as well as mine. One critic wrote,
"She can give a simple vase of flowers an innocent pleasure, a collection of old bottles a feeling of gravity. While false modesty is easily discerned, Horne's honesty is evident. She deals with things that are quite ordinary, yet in her view they become charmingly special."
Here's some fun stuff about me:
- Married to my college sweetie Billy since 1996. We managed to make 2 really cute kids: Mailey (16) and WIlliam (19). We also have 2 dogs (Lawrence and lily) and 4 cats (Luna, Teensy, LJ and Graham Cracker)
- My favorite food group is cookies. It is a food group, I Googled it.
- My favorite color is orange.
- I am an avid runner.
- I want to see Niagra Falls so bad I can taste the salt spray just imagining it.
- I seek to simplify and yet continue to collect things. It simply cannot be helped.
- Attended Auburn University where I received a BFA in Fine Arts
-Met Billy at Auburn and got engaged under the big oak tree on the Concourse (Auburn peeps know this spot)
- Attended State University of West Georgia for K-12 Art Education certification
- Also certified in K-12 Family and Consumer Science (aka to us old school folks Home Ec)
- Grew up in Birmingham, Alabama in a lot of different houses. My parents were the original house flippers.
- I absolutely love to sing and play guitar. But have never done karaoke.
- Began my teaching journey in 1997. I know it has made me a better artist.
- Currently I teach High School Photography where my children attend
- I thank God everyday for the talents he blessed me with. And for giving me friends who continue to support and nurture my creative journey.
-In 2017 we bought a Historic home in downtown Newnan we call the "House of Hearts". It was built in 1850
-I have 2 tattoos I got after the age of 40....one is a nest with 2 eggs to represent my children. The other is the word Meraki which is Greek for doing something with soul, love, or creativity; to put something of yourself into your work. I love this word and it's meaning and the fact that every time I paint I see it, prepare a meal for my family I see it, write a lesson plan, drive around town, etc....it's a part of my daily mantra now. A gentle reminder of how I want to live.